Sunday, June 7, 2015

Busy as a Bumblebee

6/7/2015

Well, I spent some more time trying to get more of the mold off of the back and front of the house with the bleach and the power washer.  Some of the mold from previous rainy seasons buried underneath the dirt and an additional layer of mold won't come off.  A friend from church is going to loan me he high-powered PSI power washer that might be able to get it off....that and I am going to rearrange a few of my hoses so that the non-leaky hose is in the front.

We played frisbee golf on Thursday instead of Ultimate frisbee on Thursday and had a good time.  Grandma invited me over a few times for dinner, which was nice.  Her meatloaf she made for dinner today was tasty. Too bad Dad wasn't here to finish off the leftovers.  I think Carol was going to finish them off tomorrow.

This weekend we ended up getting together to do some cleanup work along the San Marcos river.  Some of the apts. there had quite a bit of mold spreading up almost 4 ft high from the flooding.  We worked about 7 hours each knocking down drywall.  It was quite the workout.  I rode up with the Stake President who went on and on about the Slaugh family and all they had done for the Stake.  Then he started to talk about Susan and the Messiah.  All I could do is smile.  Susan has done a good job with her family.

I am going to protest the value of my home on Wednesday using my Bishop's Bexar County property tax assessment. We have basically the same house, except his has a .4 acre lot with a 3 car garage and his property is assessed at 20K below mine.  We also have partial rooms added by the previous owner that weren't even included in the assessed value. Somehow mine shows as having gone up $32K in one year.  That is more the 10% max for homestead owners.

Heidi comes home either late Monday or on Tuesday.  Their family likes to drive at night-time, which makes me a little unnerved, but I get it.  If the kids are sleeping it does make for an easier trip....you just have to stay awake.

I bore my testimony today about family.  It was fitting since my family wasn't around.  I did have a few impressions.  One of which that I could and should reach out to old friend that I had a long the way and catch up with them.  A few of them resisted my friendship while they were going through hard times...maybe they are reading and willing to see an old friend.

The other impression was after hearing the following quote, which struck home, one because I myself had similar experiences.

Elder Joe J. Christensen said: “There are those who wake up every morning dreading to go to school, or even to a Church activity, because they worry about how they will be treated. You have the power to change their lives for the better. … The Lord is counting on you to be a builder and give them a lift. Think less of yourself and more about the power you have to assist others, even those within your own family”.

When I was in 5th grade I was beat up on the street behind me, which caused me think of myself as unimportant.  The bullier then rubbed it in my face while I was at school and even threw little acorns sometimes at Linda and I when we walked home.  I remember key figures who stood up for me along the way.  One was when the bullier again approached me in 7th grade in the bus line, only to be reprimanded severely by Tiffany.  The second was when I was acting dumb and said something I shouldn't to TJ and David Lee stood up for me, even though for whatever reason, we weren't close any more.

The same thing happened in choir in 8th grade.  My heart was so innocent, that I just sang the way I loved to sing.  That annoyed two boys who made it their job to threaten to beat me up.  They wanted me to admit that they were better at singing then I was.  I decided to stop trying in choir so they wouldn't make fun of me.  They took the fun out of singing.  So I dropped out of show choir and didn't sing in High School.

Unfortunately, I was on the other side too when there was someone in my high school band that was called gay.  I knew he wasn't gay but because I myself was made fun of my freshman year of band, resisted being his friend.  4 years later I saw him show up one time in our ward.  I eagerly reached out my hand to say hi, do you remember me?  Unfortunately, he didn't.  I felt really bad about that.

So many experiences that I just kept inside.  I didn't really feel comfortable with sharing them with anyone.  When meeting with a counselor a few times, I realized that Heidi wasn't the only one that had dealt with trauma, I had dealt with it myself, only my nature was to whenever I was confronted to shield myself off from everything and everyone because I felt unsafe.

Heidi has been through quite a bit as well; however, when we share our experiences, we tend to bond a little, knowing that having gone through all we did we came out imperfect, but alright.

One of my favorite songs growing up was I'll walk with you.  It kind of hits home sometimes.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know you were bullied so much. I wish we had all communicated more... there's so much I missed out on with my younger siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that when you were going through all that was around the time you would play hide and seek in the house with Kevin and me, and you were making no bake cookies, and pretending to be the alligator while Kevin and I hopped on couch cushions. It's remarkable to me that you went through that but all I remember are the fun times you had with us.

    The Lord doesn't allow people to be tried above that which they are able, but He does refine people according to their strength. You must have a lot of spiritual strength to be able to endure those trials. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl said it well. You have truly made lemonade from your lemons. You are a great man of God. Though we will always remember, I am very grateful that one day the sting of those bad memories will be removed. Love you and admire you.

    ReplyDelete